The companies in FDMC 300 have achieved sales growth for nine consecutive years.
Despite the unprecedented international pandemic, the largest producers of cabinets, contract and residential furniture, wood products and store fixtures that make up the FDMC 300 list have grown. This marks the 35th year of the FDMC 300 list. This year's figures are based on sales data for 2020, showing that the total sales of these companies reached 57.883 billion U.S. dollars. This is a slight increase of 1.25% over the previous year. This also marks the ninth consecutive year that the FDMC 300 company list has achieved sales growth. Below are the rankings of the top five companies in each major product category. The ranking numbers below reflect their position in their category. Their FDMC 300 ranking is in parentheses. The asterisk (*) sales figures are estimates. For a complete list of FDMC 300, please visit: https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/fdmc-300.
Cabinet 1. MasterBrand Cabinet (6) Main location: Jasper, IN; Departments: Aristokraft, Decora, Diamond, Dynasty, HomeCrest, Kemper, KitchenCraft, Norcraft, Omega, Schrock, WoodCrafters; Annual sales: US$2.418 billion* ('20 ); Manufacturing Plant: 16 - Aradga, AL; Waterloo, Iowa; Arthur, Illinois; Ferdinand, Goshen, Huntingburg, Jasper (2), Kinston, NC; Pass is granted, or; Texas State Weslaco; Winnipeg, MB; Valle Hermoso, Reynosa, Rio Bravo, Gomez Palacio, Mexico; and six Norcraft locations. Square feet: 6 million; Products: inventory, semi-custom and custom fully assembled kitchen and bathroom cabinets; frameless RTA; employees: 11,000.
2. ACProducts Inc. (8) Main location: Texas Colony; Branches: ACPI, AWP (formerly Elkay Cabinetry), Cabinets2000, Master Woodcraft, Smart Cabinetry; Annual sales: 1.8 billion US dollars* ('20) ; Manufacturing plant: 12—Norwalk, California; Aurora, CO; Culver, New Paris, Indiana; New Ulm, Waconia, Minnesota; Independence, or; Mifflinburg, Mt Union, Thompsontown, PA; Jefferson Marshall, Texas; Musco: Middlefield, Ohio; Carpeper, Virginia; Sterling Hill, Kentucky; Duncanville, Texas; Square Feet: 750,000; Products: Inventory And semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets; employees: 4,200. 3. American Woodmark Corp. (9) main location: Winchester, Virginia; departments: Timberlake, Shenandoah Cabinetry, Potomac; annual sales: $1.6503 billion ('20 ); Manufacturing plants: 18 - Kingman, AZ; Miralloma, California, Anaheim; Jackson, Tocoya, Georgia; Gas City, Indiana; Monticello, Kentucky; Allegg, Maryland Ny County; Lincolnton, North Carolina; Humboldt, Tennessee; Berryville, Dallas, Texas; Orange, Virginia; Tijuana, Mexico; Square Feet: 5 million; Products: Inventory and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets ; Employees: 10,000.
4. Woodcraft Industries (Quanex) (39) Main location: St. Cloud, Minnesota; Departments: Woodcraft, PrimeWood, Brentwood; Annual sales: 210 million US dollars ('20); Manufacturing plant: 13 - Bowling, Kentucky Green; St. Cloud, Foreston, Minnesota; Conover, North Carolina; Wupperton, North Dakota; Midfield, Orwell, Ohio; Morara, or; Greenville, Pennsylvania; Moorfield, West Virginia; square feet: 600,000; products: hardwood and laminated cabinet parts and doors; employees: 1,000.
5. WW Wood Products Inc. (52) Main location: Dudley, Missouri; Branches: Shiloh cabinets, Eclipse cabinets, Aspect cabinets; annual sales: 170 million US dollars ('20); manufacturing plant: 4-Missouri State Dudley; square feet: 1.5 million; products: kitchen/bathroom cabinets, wood products/moulds, custom kitchen/bathroom cabinets, closets, cabinet doors; employees: 1,350.
Contract furniture 1. Steelcase Inc. (2) Main location: Grand Rapids, Michigan; Departments: Coalesse, Turnstone, Steelcase Health, Steelcase Education, Details, Designtex, AMQ, Smith System, Orangebox; Annual sales: US$3.724 billion ( '20); Manufacturing Plant: 21 - Grand Rapids, Kentwood, Gaines Township, MI; Atlanta, Georgia; Athens, AL; Corona City, California, Industrial City; Kramer, Dixonville, Pennsylvania; Okmulgee, Good; Tijuana, Mexico; total area: 12 million; products: seats, lighting, storage, furniture systems, interior building products, technology products and related products and services; employees: 10,700.
2. Herman Miller Inc. (4) Main location: Zeeland, Michigan; Department: North American contract, international, retail; Annual sales: $2.486 billion ('20); Manufacturing plant: 10-Atlanta, Georgia; Netherlands, Spring Lake, Zeeland, Michigan; Hildebrand, North Carolina; Sheboygan, Wisconsin; Melksham, UK; Dongguan, Ningbo, China; Bangalore, India; Sao Paulo, Brazil; sq. ft.: 4 million ; Products: contract/office furniture and related services, and residential furniture; desks, office systems, office chairs, healthcare systems, manufacturing and laboratory systems, home offices, temporary furniture, educational furniture, storage, lighting; employees: 7,500 .
3. Haworth Inc. (7) Main location: Holland, MI; Department: Healthcare environment; Annual sales: US$2.25 billion ('19); Manufacturing plant: 17-Big Rapids, Holland, Kentwood, Ludington, MI; Bruce , Ms. High Point, North Carolina; Canada; China; France; Germany; India; Portugal; Spain; sq. ft.: 5.5 million; Products: contract/office furniture; system furniture, office chairs and chairs, desks, documents/ Storage, luggage, tables (computers, meetings, temporary, training, work), upholstered guest chairs; employees: 7,500.
4. HNI Corp. (12) Main location: Muscatine, Iowa; Branches: Allsteel, Gunlocke, HON, HNI International, Maxon, HBF, Lamex; Annual sales: US$1.33 billion* ('20) ; Manufacturing plant: 10-Cedartown, Georgia; Mt. Pleasant, Muscatine, IA; Wayland, New York; Square feet: not applicable; Products: contract/office furniture; desks, bookcases, documents/storage, Office systems, office chairs, bookcases, conference tables, home office furniture, glass walls; employees: 8,500.
5. Knoll Inc. (14) Main location: East Greenville, Pennsylvania; Departments: KnollExtra, KnollStudio, KnollTextiles, Spinneybeck, Muuto; Annual sales: $1.23 billion* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 5-Michigan Muskegon; East Greenville, Pennsylvania; Toronto, Ontario; Grafinana Foligno, Italy; square feet: 1.87 million (North America); products: contract/office furniture; office systems, office chairs, desks, Bags, documents and lockers, administrative office furniture, tables, recliners, sofas, contract textiles, leather; employees: 3,500.
Residential furniture 1. Ashley Furniture Industries Inc. (1) Main location: Arcadia, WI; Departments: Ashley Casegoods, Ashley Upholstery, Millennium, Ashley HomeStore, Ashley Sleep; Annual sales: US$6.436 billion ('20) (excluding retail ); Manufacturing plants: 12-Ecru, Ripley, Verona, MS; Advance, Statesville, North Carolina; Lisport, Pennsylvania; Arcadia, Independence, Whitehall, Wisconsin; Binh Duong, Vietnam City Tan Uyen District; total area: 30,000,000; products: residential furniture; dining room furniture, bedroom furniture, desks, temporary furniture, upholstered furniture, sports furniture, lamps, leather interiors, recliners, outdoor furniture; employees: 31,000 2. La -Z-Boy Inc. (13) Main location: Monroe, Michigan; Department: La-Z-Boy Interior Decoration Group: England, Casegoods Group: American Drew, Hammary, Kincaid; Joybird (Stitch Ind.); Annual sales : $1.31 billion ('20); manufacturing plant: 6 - Siloam Springs, AR; Neosho, MO; Lenoir, Taylorsville, North Carolina; Morristown, Tennessee; Dayton, Tennessee; square feet: 5 million; products : Residential furniture, contract/office furniture and commercial/hotel furniture-recliner, sofa bed, sofa, love seat, lounge chair, electric recliner, lift chair, massage chair, seat; employees: 8,000.
3. Dorel Industries Inc. (16) Main location: Montreal, QC; Departments: Altra, Ameriwood, Cosco Home & Office, Dorel Asia, Dorel Home Products, Ridgewood, Carina, SystemBuild; Annual sales: US$935 million* (' 20); Manufacturing plant: 5 - Columbus, Indiana; Tiffin, OH; Cornwall, ON; Montreal, QC; Helmond, Netherlands; Square feet: Not applicable; Products: Residential furniture and RTA furniture; Children's furniture, entertainment centers, bookcases, desks, metal furniture, metal folding furniture, child restraint systems, futons; employees: 1,500.
4. Sauder Woodworking (20) Main location: Archbold, Ohio; Departments: Sauder RTA, Progressive, Sauder Mfg., Wieland, Butler Woodcrafters, Spec Furniture; Annual sales: $615 million* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 8 - Archbold, Stryker, OH; Grabold, in; Richmond, Virginia; Toronto, Ontario; square feet: 4.5 million; Products: RTA furniture, contract healthcare and education chairs, church furniture; wooden bedrooms, dining rooms and Occasional furniture; employees: 2,500.
5. Hooker Furnishings Corp. (21) Main location: Martinsville, Virginia; Departments: Home Meridian, Bradington-Young, Sam Moore Furniture LLC, Pulaski, Samuel Lawrence; Annual sales: US$515 million* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 3—Pecan, North Carolina; Bedford, Virginia; Vietnam; Square feet: 2.5 million (including distribution); Products: residential furniture; bedroom furniture, temporary furniture, entertainment centers, desks, bookcases, Home office, home theater, fabric chairs, leather interior; employees: 900 people.
Construction plant 1. Metrie Inc. (35) Main location: Vancouver, British Columbia; Annual sales: $250 million* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 6-Ferndale, WA; Clearwood, Surrey, BC; Carl Gary, Edmonton, AB; Toronto, Ontario; Square feet: Not applicable; Products: solid wood and composite wood moldings, doors, windows, and floor components; employees: 1,500.
2. Genesis Products (38) Main location: Goshen, India; Departments: recreational vehicles, cabinets and storage rooms, store fixtures, office and education, furniture, transportation; annual sales: 218 million US dollars ('20); manufacturing plant : 9 - Elkhart, Fort Wayne, Goshen, IN; Keysville, Virginia; square feet: 850,000; products: laminates, panel processing, hot foil components, packaging molded products, drawer parts, cabinet doors, interior doors, interiors Handling, desktop and desktop, bed components; employees: 813.
3. USA Millwork (45) Main location: Denver, Colorado; Branches: Millwork Atlanta, Denver, DC, Great Lakes, Mission Bell, USA; Annual sales: 200 million US dollars* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 5—— Morgan Hill, California; Denver, Colorado; Atlanta, Georgia; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Manassas, Virginia; square feet: 400,000; products: construction wood products; employees: 600 people.
4. Alexandria Molding (US Lumber) (54) Main location: Alexandria, Ontario; branch: Royal Woodworking Company; annual sales: 150 million US dollars* ('19); manufacturing plant: 3 - Moxee, WA; Alexandria , Aurora, ON; square feet: 846,000; products: wood products/molds; molds, stair parts, column covers, pillars, and related products; employees: 500.
5. Quanex Homeshield LLC (68) Main location: Chatsworth, Illinois; annual sales: $130 million* ('20); manufacturing plant: 7-Chatsworth, Illinois; Richmond, Indiana ; Dubuque, Iowa; Mounds View, Minnesota; Lucky, Rice Lake, Wisconsin; Square feet: not applicable; Products: wood products; door and window components; employees: 600 people.
Store Fixtures 1. Lozier Corp. (22) Main location: Omaha, Nebraska; Branch: Cornerstone Automation System (CASI); Annual sales: 500 million US dollars* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 9- -Omaha, Nebraska (3); Scottsboro, Alabama (2); Middlebury, in; Joplin, Missouri; McClure, Pennsylvania; Texas Frisco, Slovakia; square feet: 4.3 million; products: store fixtures and retail displays, cash registers, commercial cabinets, and storage, material handling and warehouse automation systems; employees: 2,200.
2. idX Corp. (32) Main location: Bridgetown, Missouri; annual sales: $262 million* ('19); manufacturing plant: 12-Ontario, California; Columbia, MD; Washington, North Carolina; Dayton, OH; Cedar Hill, Texas; Fredericksburg, Virginia; Puyallup, Washington State; Leicestershire, UK; Shanghai, Xiamen, Wujiang, China; Bangalore, India; Sq. Feet: 3.1 million; Products: custom installations, displays and wood products for the retail, financial and hotel markets; employees: 1,500.
3. LA Darling Co. (33) Main location: Paragould, AR; Annual sales: $250 million* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 3 - Paragould, AR; Albert Lea, Minnesota; Mexico City; square feet: 1.5 million; products: wood and metal store fixtures, point-of-purchase display; employees: 500 people.
4. Artitalia Group (69) Main location: Montreal, QC; annual sales: 125 million US dollars* ('20); manufacturing plant: 2-Montreal, QC; square feet: 1.2 million; products: store fixtures, displays Racks, hotel furniture; employees: 500 people.
5. Colony Inc. (102) Main location: Elgin, Illinois; annual sales: $75 million* ('20); manufacturing plant: 3 - St. Charles, Elgin, IL; Xiamen, China; square feet: 550,000; products: store fixtures, point-of-purchase displays; employees: 200.
WINDOWS/DOORS 1. Andersen Corp. (3) Main location: Bayport, Minnesota; Departments: Eagle Window & Doors, EMCO Doors, KML Windows, Dashwood Industries, Andersen Renewal; Annual sales: $2.5 billion* ('20 ); Manufacturing plant: 9 - Bayport, Cottage Grove, MN; Menomone, Wisconsin; Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa; Luray, Virginia; Centralia, Strathroy, London, ON; Sq. Feet: 2.8 million (Bayport); products: wood products, windows, doors; employees: 11,000.
2. Jeld-Wen Inc. (5) Main location: Charlotte, North Carolina; annual sales: $2.475 billion* ('20) (N. Am.); manufacturing plant: 16-Lantour, Illinois; Mount Vernon, oh; crooked, or; Hawkins, WI, Hartselle, AL; Rocklin, California; Kissimmee, Florida; Grinnell. IA; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Chiloquin, Klamath Falls, OR; Thornbury, Pennsylvania; Temple, Texas, Ludlow, VT, Oshkosh, Wisconsin; Square Feet: No Applicable; Products: wooden doors and windows, wooden products, internal and external doors; employees: 9,000.
3. Masonite International Corp. (10) Main location: Tampa, Florida; annual sales: $1.58 billion ('20); manufacturing plant: 13 --Haleyville, AL; Lago, Florida, Mason City, Love Iowa; Shelbyville, Kentucky; Laurel, MS; Verdi, Nevada; Charlotte, Greensboro, North Carolina; Northumberland, Pennsylvania; Denmark, SC; Virginia Stanley; Marshfield, Wisconsin; Mexico; Square feet: 12 million; Products: New indoor and outdoor doors for residential buildings; Employees: 10,000.
4. Pella Corp. (11) Main location: Pella, Iowa; Departments: Efco, Duratherm, Reilly Windows & Doors, Grabill; Annual sales: $1.5 billion* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 17—— Jacksonville, Florida; Carroll, Pella, Shenandoah, Sioux Center, IA: South San Francigsco, CA; Macomb, Illinois; Murray, Kentucky; Wasalboro, ME; Almont, Michigan; Carl, New York Verton; Reedsville, North Carolina; Troy, OH; Portland, Oregon; Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Square feet: Not applicable; Products: Wood windows and patio doors, glass and vinyl products, entrance doors ; Employees: 8,000.
5. Marvin Windows and Doors (17) Main location: Warroad, MN; Departments: Integrity Windows, Infinity Windows, TruStile; Annual sales: 750 million US dollars* ('20); Manufacturing plant: 8-Warroad, MN; Iho Northwood, WA; Fargo, Grafton, West Fargo, ND; Ripley, Tennessee; Baker, Oregon; Roanoke, Virginia; sq. ft.: 3.4 million; Products: wood products; windows, doors; employees : 5,200.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
William Sampson is a lifelong woodworker who has been a small-scale entrepreneur and advocate of lean manufacturing since the 1980s. He served as the editor of Fine Woodworking magazine in the early 1990s and founded WoodshopBusiness magazine, which he eventually sold and merged with CabinetMaker magazine. He helped establish the Cabinet Manufacturers Association in 1998 and became its first executive director. Today, as the editor of FDMC magazine, he has more than 20 years of professional woodworking industry experience. His popular "In the Shop" tool reviews and videos appear monthly in FDMC.
Sign up for Woodworking Network Newsletter
Get the latest headline news subscription sent to you every day